For my summer reading assignment I am choosing to read Nothing by Janne Teller. I am just about half way done with this book, so far it's extremely interesting. There are many characters that have been introduced in my book so far, however...there are only about three main characters. These characters include Pierre Anthon, Agnes, and Sofie. Pierre is what the others consider, different. He wears hipster glasses, skinny jeans, and band t-shirts. Agnes is the narrator throughout the story, she doesn't really describe herself very much. She's very insecure and tends to compare herself to everyone else around her. She is a lot like a typical girl in middle school today. The last, but not least, Sofie; she is the most messed up character, she ends up chopping off someones finger to 'sacrifice' something to the mound. She also loses her virginity to a guy she doesn't even care about.
The setting of this book is in Denmark. It's in a small rural town where everybody knows each other, so when someone new moves in..the whole town hears about it.
The conflict throughout this book is that Pierre Anthon is not like the other kids. He's different so everyone feels the need to tease and bully him throughout the story. But, the kids turn it around into daring each other to do things. These dares turn to the extreme very quickly, for an example, a boy cut off his index finger just becaue of a dare.
I predict that someone will end up severely hurting themselves, or even killing themselves because of one of these dares. I can relate this to today because when you play 'truth or dare' qwith your friends, if you don't do the dare, they'll tease and ridicule you about it so I can understand why these kids are doing these dares.
No comments:
Post a Comment